Trafficking Awareness Campaign
Human trafficking in Nepal is a growing criminal industry that affect many countries beyond Nepal, primarily across Asia and the Middle East. Nepal is a major ‘source country’ for men, women and children who are subjected to forced labor and sex trafficking.
Trafficking victims are often taken to locations within Nepal, from rural areas to the urban centers. The young girls and women are primarily trafficked for sexual exploitation in places such as, cabin dance restaurants, massage parlors and other places within the tourism sector. There are also women who have entered sex work voluntarily, and those who might have entered voluntarily but are now prohibited to leave, being forced to live in slave-like conditions. Within Nepal, labor trafficking is also common. Victims often end up in industries such as carpet and garment factories, embroidering sweatshops, brick-kilns, and many others.
The Nepali HLF team are planning to fight against human trafficking by organizing several activities, one of which includes awareness campaigns regarding human trafficking in different areas of Nepal. Violence against women and children has been an issue that continues to cry out for attention. We are targeting the most affected areas in Nepal so that we can meet or reach out to local, state and federal representatives. It is important that we bring these issues to their attention by informing them that their constituents are passionate about fighting against human trafficking. Doing this will increase the likelihood of them acting towards the prevention of this issue. Raising awareness around human trafficking will also help get others on board, causing a chain reaction. A chain reaction leads to more and more people lobbying, fundraising and educating themselves about the issue. These solutions to human trafficking can be applied to the lives of people everywhere, helping everyone feel like they are joining the fight against this international issue.
Above: Trafficking awareness Campaigns with Rabindra and the team
To fulfill this goal Himalayan Leaky Foundation will work through the following objectives:
- Continue to raise awareness through operations including showing and discussing presentations of human trafficking, flyer distribution and door to door awareness campaigns.
- Encourage local schools or school districts to include human trafficking in their curricula and to develop protocols for identifying and reporting suspected cases of human trafficking or responding to potential victims.
- Talk to local and national media, who play an enormous role in shaping perceptions and guiding the public conversation about human trafficking.
- Overlook the Indo-Nepal border towns where trafficking rates are extremely high, and the only way to traffic victims to India.
- Assist trafficking survivors with comprehensive services including legal support, counseling, and employment options by coordinating with local and national NGO’s and support services, as well as our growing HLF team.
- To protect vulnerable girls and women from trafficking.
Rabindra and the team were on their way to Parbat Village (an area in western Nepal to begin their first targeted campaign) when they were called back to KTM for lockdown. We will look to return to this area once the current covid situation is under control and it is safe for the team to travel. As mentioned earlier, our focus is to raise awareness, as the past view years have taught the global population, it is only by bringing these terrible acts to light, that true change can occur.donate